Where the Wild Things Are



The DVD Where the Wild Things Are is released today! I absolutely loved this film. It's based on the book Where the Wild Things Are, written by Maurice Sendak. Did you know that the monsters are actually based on Sendak's relatives that would come over for weekly dinners? I didn't!

Max Records stars as the main character, Max. He seemed very natural in the part. He showed such a variety of emotions like boredom, fear, anger, sadness, love, joy, disappointment, etc. He really carried the film. Catherine Keener played his mother. She successfully portrays a single mother who is trying to maintain her family along with her work, home, boyfriend, etc. James Gandolfini, Catherine O'Hara, Forest Whitaker, Lauren Ambrose, Chris CooperPaul Dano, and Michael Berry Jr. star as the fascinating Wild Things. Spike Jonze directed the film. I loved the set design, cinematography, costumes, soundtrack. Everything! The quality of light was so beautiful throughout the film. It was a great story about the wonders of childhood combined with the sometimes confusing, scary, wonderful, emotions that are "inside all of us." I truly enjoyed Where the Wild Things Are. I can't wait to add it to my DVD collection!




(I thought this set photo was pretty cool.)

Images via the film's website