When I was in New York for a few days, I read about Scattered Light on Design Therapy. Since I was in the area, I really wanted to see it and it was magical. The creator of Scattered Light is electrical engineer turned artist, Jim Campbell. This public art exhibition is located in Madison Square Park in New York City. There is a grid which feature 1,600 hanging light bulbs that have been modified with 2,000 LEDs lights. They are programmed to flicker so that there are human shadows moving throughout the scene. I think my favorite part of seeing this installation was when the wind started to blow gently, the shadows disappeared and the moving lights were mesmerizing.
Scattered Light will be in Madison Square Park until February 28, 2011. You can find more information about the project at Mad. Sq. Art.
The following clip is Jim Campbell talking about Scattered Light. I love that he calls it an "homage to the light bulb." I like the shape of light bulbs too, Mr. Campbell.
Clip via YouTube
Images via Mad. Sq. Art

